A rich land: Today, magnificent buildings are the evidence for the former prosperity of the farmers in the fertile countryside along the Rott and Inn rivers, and the industriousness of the towns and markets are still evidenced today by magnificent buildings. Gothic churches even in the smallest hamlet, towering towers, extensive castle complexes and baroque pilgrimages are waiting to be discovered.
The rich dukes of Lower Bavaria not only gave their Landshut residence a legendary wedding reception. Their splendid appearance also had an effect on the land of Rott and Inn. The spacious town church in Eggenfelden was not the only thing built in this late Gothic period. In almost every village a new church building was erected sometime between 1400 and 1520 in addition to pilgrimage shrines: the tower in Schildthurn, which explodes all dimensions, shows pilgrims and visitors the way, to this day.
Whoever spoke of ‘coughing in the lungs’ before the inventions of modern medicine expected help from the ‘painful Mother of God’ (schmerzhafte Muttergottes). In a small rococo chapel near Postmünster she sat on the altar with seven swords in her chest, promising compassion and help. The land of the Rott and Inn is rich in these baroque places of grace that appeal to the senses. Gems of places like the ‘mother of cough chapel’ near Postmünster or ‘Visitation of the Virgin Mary’ (Maria Heimsuchung) in Langwinkl near Bayerbach are proof of that, but also splendid baroque rooms like the Gartlberg in Pfarrkirchen, Anzenberg, Frauentödling or Mariakirchen.
The former lords of Rott and Inn felt comfortable in their country. This is evidenced by their extensive castles and manor houses, some of which their descendants still live in and manage to this day. A court stamp centre, a moated castle, a representative baroque complex and a romantic reinvention in the spirit of the legendary fairy tale king Ludwig II are presented here.
In Mariakirchen near Arnstorf, the moated castle dominates the small place. The castle, built around 1550, counts in its construction type among the most important buildings influenced by the Renaissance in the region.
Schlossbräu Mariakirchen GmbH & Co. KG
Obere Hofmark 3 · Tel. 08723 97871-0
Being the residence of the Count's own family La Rosée, the castle is not open to the public. The view into the valley and the beautiful castle church, which is accessible, should nevertheless not shy away from the way up.
Thurnstein Castle was built in the 13th century on a hill south of Postmünster. At the end of the 17th century the castle was built in its present form, as a three-wing complex open to the south with three storeys and two towers. In the east wing there is the castle church "Mariä Heimsuchung" (Visitation of the Virgin Mary), which has been described by experts as a master piece.
Familie Graf von La Rosée
84389 Postmünster · Tel. 08561 1309
Since 1670, Schönau Palace has been owned by the Rieder Barons von Paar zu Schönau, whose descendants still live in the Palace today. In 1867 the Oberhof gardener Carl Joseph Effner - he also designed the winter garden on the roof of the Munich Residence, the gardens of Lindenhof and Herrenchiemsee for the "fairy tale king" Ludwig II of Bavaria - designed the park in the style of a landscape garden. The park with its numerous exotic trees, some of which are rare, is unique. In addition to native trees such as elms, maples, beeches, acacias, lime trees, black pines and yews, exotic species such as the sugar maple, American oaks, Japanese larches, a tulip tree, magnolias, plane trees, thujas and marsh cypresses can be found. A giant copper beech is particularly impressive. In 1951, the castle park and the adjoining grounds to the south were placed under landscape and monument protection.
Freiherrlich Riederer von Paar´sche Güterinspektion
Tel. 08726 910215 · email@example.com
Hofmarken was a kind of administrative entity within the principality of Bavaria The Hofmark Gern near Eggenfelden belonged for the longest time to the noble family of Closen. Its seat was also the venue for the Gerner Markt, an important trading centre in the former empire. To this day, a large part of the complex composed into the Rott landscape has been preserved. Today, the castle economy offers space for cultural events, the municipal music school, conferences and recently also for an ambitious innovation laboratory.
How to reach us
Ringstraße 4 - 7
please contact us